Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 85: March 29, 2013 Retail Therapy


     Today started off on a good foot as I not only got to Skype Ben but watch IU you get beat as well as the OSU vs Arizona game. After those were all done I headed over to the dining courts for lunch and then came back and showered. Then I was all set to go to the fabric market with John, Joe, and Catriona to pick up all of our stuff. 

     After the hour-long subway ride we headed inside and all split up to get our different things. I wasn’t exactly sure how my shirts were going to turn out since I just handed them mine and picked out fabric, but they actually turned out great and exactly like the original. Catriona was also very happy with her dress, which only left us to get the flag for Adam. We headed over to stand and the girl immediately recognized John and I. She got out the flag, which looked great, but it wasn’t the dimensions that we had specified so we just held up a ruler and she ripped off the extra fabric. After that we asked if she could hem the edges so it wouldn’t fray and she just sent it to the back with someone and we ran across the street to grab cream puffs. By the time we got back the flag was all done and couldn’t have looked better. Since we were so impressed, John and I made sure to get a picture with her, which turned out to be pretty funny since she is only about up to my shoulders. 

     After we were all squared away we headed out of the market as quickly as we could to avoid spending any more money but apparently it wasn’t quick enough. Catriona and I each stopped and grabbed scarves on the way out although we didn’t feel too bad since they were so cheap. After we finally made it out, we decided to meet up with Jess and head over to Tianzifang to look around. I took Jess to the handmade jewelry store since I knew she would like it and we looked around for quite some time deciding on what we wanted to get. All of the jewelry was gorgeous but a little pricey, especially for China standards. It was too cute to resist though, so Jess ended up with a necklace and a couple pair of earrings and I somehow managed to restrain myself to just one pair. The ones I got are a pretty simple but really cute and are basically a gold backdrop with a trim and a fake diamond stud in the middle. 

     Very happy with our purchases, we were ready to grab some food and we all agreed on a quaint Indian place on the second floor of this building right off the path. I decided to go with some sort of paneer, which is an Indian cheese, and of course naan, both of which were amazing. Everyone else seemed pleased with their food as well, even Catriona whose food was really spicy. 

     After we finished up at dinner Jess and I broke off from the rest of the group and headed back over to Xujiahui to the “white people mall,” which is just a really nice mall with a Western market in the bottom. We looked around for a while deciding on what to get and after much restraint I managed to only buy a block of cheese (FINALLY), crackers, and some Nature Valley bars. All stocked, we hopped back on the subway to Minhang and had some really good bonding time on the way. 

     Once we got back, John and I couldn’t wait to surprise Adam with the flag but we didn’t really know what to do. Adam ended up coming in my room to talk with John, Jess, and I so Jess and I snuck out, grabbed the flag from John’s room, and ran into Adam’s room. We freaked out Ron with how in a hurry we were but eventually he caught on and helped hang the flag on their clothesline. After it was all situated, we went back into my room and talked for a while until Adam was finally ready to go back into his room. We led the way in as he followed and he was just completely confused when he saw it. He didn’t know if we had found his old one or bought another or what but he was pretty excited to see it replaced. After much thanks for his early birthday present he hung it right up on the wall for decoration. After all of the excitement and a little talking we were all ready for bed since we had an early bus to catch to the game in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment